Cyclone Nilam has struck the southeastern coast of India, bringing with it severe flooding and winds almost as strong as superstorm Sandy.
Nilam, which formed over the Bay of Bengal, looked to be headed straight for the Sri Lankan coast. Fortunately, Sri Lanka, which is still re-building after a decades-long war, avoided the worst of the storm. Having only closed the massive Menik Farm displacement camp one month ago, the last thing this Southern Asian country needed was another humanitarian disaster.
The force of the cyclone could be seen even before it hit Indian coastlines. Its powerful winds forced an oil tanker to run aground, writes the Times of India, leaving 22 crew members floating in a lifeboat.
The storm then surged towards the Southeastern coast of India, placing the states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu on high alert. More than 5,000 people were subsequently evacuated from their homes in Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu. By early evening (IST) Nilam had struck the port of Mahabalipuram and is now expected to spread along the coast through the night.
Cyclone Nilam comes only a year after Cyclone Thane, which last December killed 47 people in India. This massive storm, which hit Tamil Nadu destroying houses and crops, brought gale force winds of up to 135 kmph and tidal surges of nearly 1.5 metres, or about 5 feet. Although the cyclone currently bashing the coastal areas of southern India is not as strong as Thane, it still brings fears of human displacement and infrastructure damage. Extra precautions are being taken this time to ensure people’s safety.
“Tamil Nadu has a long coastline and the state has witnessed many storms over the years,” explained M. Jayaraman, joint commissioner for revenue administration for Tamil Nadu to the New York Times. “We have standard operating procedures already in force to tackle natural calamities and have also taken extra efforts this time.”
(MORE: Cyclone Hits Southern India)
The Indian government has issued a weather bulletin warning coastal areas in the South of the country to prepare themselves for strong winds through the night with extremely heavy rainfall possible in certain areas. A storm surge is expected in the low-lying areas of Chennai. The government is also warning of damage to power and communication lines and to standing crops. Coastal fishermen have been advised not to venture out to sea for the next 24 hours.
Earthquake hit Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Guwahati on Apr 11 at around 2 PM.
NEW DELHI: A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court will on Friday rule on the bail plea of DMK MP Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar, named co-accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Special Judge O P Saini, who had reserved his order on their bail application on May 6, will pronounce his verdict on Friday.
Kanimozhi, who has been regularly appearing in court for the case’s hearing since April 6, was present in the court but complained of ill-health.
Her counsel orally made a submission before the court that her client was suffering from stomach ache.
Then, she was granted exemption for May 12 and 13 as she was to be be questioned by income tax officials in Chennai.
- Order on Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar bail pleas reserved for May 20 (hindu.com)
- Order on Kanimozhi’s bail plea reserved for May 14 (hindu.com)
- Order on Kanimozhi bail plea on May 14 (hindu.com)
- Unaware of money transfer: Kanimozhi (hindu.com)
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar appear before income tax authorities (hindu.com)
We plan to recruit 5 PHP developers with 2-3 years experience in our Chennai branch. The candidate should have a minimum 1.5 years experience as a PHP developer. A quick learner and a team player is an added advantage. The referred candidate must commit to serve the company for at least 2 years. If you know anybody who is meeting all the above requirements and is looking for a change, please refer them and ask them to send their resumes to email@example.com. & firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to close this recruitment in a week’s time and hence would appreciate a quick response !.. If the candidate referred by you is selected, then, you will get the referral bonus per selected profile as per the company rules and guidelines.
For PHP openings, We need the following skill set :.
Edu.Qlfn: BE ( CSE / IT / EEE), MCA, MS (CS)
1) Should have minimum 1 year 6 month experience in PHP development
We need the following details
Current CTC / Nett take home p.m.
Expected CTC / Nett take home p.m.
Number of days required to Join
Reason for changing Job
You might not happy with your current mobile service provider but you probably don’t like to switch another mobile service provider because you don’t want to change your current mobile number.
Here is good news for those who are not happy with their current mobile service provider. Now you can change your mobile service provider without changing your mobile number. It means your mobile number belong s to you and not belongs to service provider for your lifetime.
TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) has declared that MNP( Mobile number Portability) will available from 20th September 2009 in selected cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore etc. and from 20th march 2010 it will be available in all over India. This means you are able to change your mobile service provider without changing mobile number from March 20 2010 all over India.
TRAI also declared that there will be small amount of fee for changing your mobile service provider from current service provider to new and the maximum time within two days.
You can get details on:
Now you are free to choose your desired mobile service provider without changing your mobile number because now there is no hassle in switching from one mobile service provider to another without changing your most valuable, distributed and known mobile number
The decision of MNP (Mobile Number Portability) is beneficial to consumer because it will increase the quality of service provider and bring down the calling/sms/validity/roaming rents or prices. Department of Telecommunication is already in the process implementing MNP in major metro cities.
The Tentative MNP (Mobie Number Portabitlity) is as follows
1)Don’t end up with current service provider till bind up with new service provider.
2) Pay any dues of current service provider or do settlement.
3) Contact new desired service provider which will start the process of MNP by contacting your current service provider.
4) Your desired new service provider will contact you at this time keep your mobile details handy like your number, registered name , address, pin etc.
5)After confirmation new service provider will activate their service on your mobile number.
- Mobile Number Portability (aronnirmal.wordpress.com)
- Mobile Number Portability in Rest of India from 20th January (espreson.com)
- First in India: Mobile Number Portability Service flag-off in Haryana on 25th November (espreson.com)
- India Introduces Mobile Number Portability (pcworld.com)
- Mobile number portability to be applied nationwide from 20th January (panasianbiz.com)
- MNP (Mobile Number Portability) : Change Your Mobile Service Provider Without Changing Your Mobile Number (ritusays.wordpress.com)
- “Loop mobile number portability in India – Wanna move?” and related posts (etechreviews.net)
- “Mobile number portability in India: It has finally arrived” and related posts (etechreviews.net)
- Mobile Number Portability: Top 7 Reasons to ditch your Mobile operator! (trak.in)
- What is UPC (Unique porting Code) for MNP Process | Telecom (amitbhawani.com)