How To Integrate Facebook With WordPress
How To Integrate Facebook With WordPress
Facebook is one of those Web phenomena that impress everyone with numbers. To cite some: about 250 million users are on Facebook, and together they spend more than 5 billion minutes on Facebook… every day. These numbers suggest that we should start thinking about how to use Facebook for blogging or vice versa.
We did some research to find out how the integration of Facebook with WordPress and vice versa works, or — in other words — how you can present your WordPress blog on Facebook or use the functionality of Facebook on your WordPress-powered blog. Both of these can be achieved with a set of WordPress plug-ins, a couple of which we’ll present here in detail.
1. Integrating A WordPress Blog Into Facebook
Integrating a WordPress blog into Facebook is actually quite simply achieved via the Facebook API. The Facebook API makes programming applications that can be spread via Facebook almost a piece of cake. A lot of interactive browser games are on Facebook, such as the currently popular “Mafia Wars.” This game allows users to start a mafia family with their friends, with the goal of becoming an important figure in the virtual underground crime scene. To start a clan, you invite other friends on the network to join. This is the growth strategy of any application on Facebook: the simple snowball effect.
The applications sustain themselves through earnings generated by displaying advertisements, which also makes Facebook an even more attractive platform to develop on. This symbiosis generates growth for both Facebook and its applications.
Plug-In Installation and Configuration
John Eckman developed the WordPress plug-in Wordbook in early 2009. This plug-in allows WordPress blog owners to integrate their blog in Facebook. This gives a blog two lives: one as an application on Facebook (such as, for example, my private FreigeistBlog)
To access a blog via Facebook, you need to first grant access to the application. To do this, go to the so-called “canvas” page, which is where the Facebook twin of the blog lives (my example). However, granting access to the blog’s application means that the administrator of the blog also has access to information about you as a user (this is what most applications aim for: information such as date of birth, gender and educational status allows them to display quite targeted ads).
The application we’re dealing with is a simple blog and, in this sense, quite innocent, but we should state outright that the Facebook API as it is now treats blogs and websites as applications, which may not be appropriate, given the issue mentioned above. Facebook users who authorize the blog application can now easly send comments and share posts from within Facebook. The data, however, is still stored in the original database on the server where the blog is installed.
This makes it look as though Facebook serves merely as a simple feed reader. Yet, we get some other benefits. The blog on Facebook can be used to create a community around it by taking advantage of Facebook’s snowball effect, because friends of the blog’s users will see in their activity stream that they have been participating on the blog. Furthermore, it means that Facebook users will see new posts from your blog whenever they sign in to Facebook and can easily follow comments, making your blog more accessible.
To create a Facebook twin of your blog, first you have to set up a new application. To do this, you need a Facebook account and have to register as a developer using the preceding link. All of this can be done in a few minutes.
Create a new Facebook application
Settings for the Facebook application. Large view.
Then, you have to submit a so-called “post-authorize callback URL.” This is the address on your server to which Facebook will send a notice whenever a user authorizes access to the application. By the same logic, there is also the “post-remove callback URL,” which receives a notice when a user removes the application. Both of these events are handled by the Wordbook plug-in. You merely need to write the address of the blog’s root directory with a trailing slash.
Facebook application settings: Define callback URLs. Large view.
The third step is to claim your canvas page, which is the page through which a Facebook user accesses your blog, and a canvas callback URL, which is the page from which content is retrieved. Again, include a trailing slash, or else internal links on your blog won’t work with their Facebook twin.
Facebook application settings: Define canvas page. Large view.
Now the hard work is done. All that’s left is to install the Wordbook plug-in using the standard WordPress method: install and activate. Then you can change the plug-in’s settings on the settings panel, and here you will need your application ID and the secret. You also have to tell the plug-in where the canvas page is located, so that internal links can be adjusted.
Adjusting the settings of the Wordbook plug-in
And that’s it! If you want, you could activate or deactivate some other options, such as the commenting function and whether users can add your application to their profile by displaying the latest posts from your blog in their profile.
Browsing through the blog via Facebook. Large view.
The plug-in allows you to play around a little bit. But as we said, you are somewhat limited in how fully you can integrate your blog into the Facebook canvas. But the next plug-in we’ll look at integrates a bit of Facebook into your blog.
2. Integrating Facebook In A WordPress Blog
To begin, a little history lesson is needed. Many users do not like having to register for each blog where they would like to post comments, especially if they already have accounts on so many other social networks, such as Facebook and MySpace. So a single online ID for several purposes would be ideal, wouldn’t it? That’s the idea behind the OpenID protocol, which started in 2005. It decentralizes the identification of users for various providers and services. In essence, you can create an account on Facebook and connect it to services such as MySpace or even a personal blog. If you want to change your profile for all of these services, that too is decentralized: you simply change the settings on your Facebook account. OpenID is a chance to make the Web and its services more easily accessible. There are reasonable risks and concerns involved, but also many opportunities.
Facebook announced in 2007 that it would implement OpenID, and others followed, which explains why we now find more and more buttons that say “Connect with Facebook” or “Google Friend Connect.” This leads us to our second plug-in, Facebook Connect WordPress plug-in, which almost seamlessly integrates Facebook into your blog.
The plug-in allows users to comment on a blog using their Facebook account; and if they are already signed in or on Facebook, they need not sign in again. Users do not have to register for a unique account on the blog because the plug-in retrieves the user’s information directly from the Facebook API. With access to the user profiles on Facebook, you can display your users’ profile pictures, which adds a personal touch to your blog.
The plug-in integrates a lot of Facebook functions: for example, users can send invitations and share stories and comments on Facebook, which gives your blog the benefit of word-of-mouth marketing. To do this, you need to activate the plug-in option that publishes a user’s activity in their respective activity feed. Last but not least, you can enable a gadget that displays the profile pictures of your blog’s most recent visitors, similar to “Google Friend Connect.”
29,Vijay Enclave Krishna Street,
T.Nagar, Chennai - 600 017
Tamil Nadu, India.
Telephone : +91 44 4350 6361
Mobile : +91 98418 91000
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- எத்தன் செய்த தந்திரம்! October 4, 2016ஒரு சமயம் பக்கத்து பக்கத்து கிராமத்தில் இரண்டு திருடர்கள் வசித்து வந்தனர். இருவரும் பலே திருடர்கள். இவர்கள் இருவரும், சமயம் கிடைக்கும் போதெல்லாம், ஒருவரை ஒருவர் ஏமாற்றப் பார்ப்பது வழக்கம்.ஒரு நாள், வணிகர் ஒருவர் இறந்துவிட்டார் என்ற செய்தியைக் கேட்ட கொமுரு என்ற திருடன், "அவர் வீட்டிற்குச் சென்றால் ஏதாவது சுருட்டலாம்' என்று நினைத்து அங்கே சென்றான்.வண […]email@example.com (Eugin Bruce)
- முட்டாள் வேலைக்காரன்! November 17, 2015ஓர் ஊரில், வணிகன் ஒருவன் இருந்தான். பணக்காரனான அவன் சரியான கஞ்சன். எனவே, முட்டாளான ஒருவனை வேலைக்காரனாக வைத்திருந்தான். வணிகன்ஒருநாள் அவனை அழைத்து, "நம் வண்டியை எடுத்துக்கொண்டு பனங்காட்டுக்குப் போ... அங்கே பலர் பனைமரங்களை வெட்டி வண்டியில் ஏற்றிக்கொண்டு இருப்பர். அதேபோல் நீயும் மரங்களை வெட்டிக்கொண்டு வா!'' என்றான்.அப்படியே அவனும் வண்டியை ஓட்டிக் […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Eugin Bruce)
- நோ காகம் அண்ணா! November 11, 2015அந்த கல்யாண சத்திரத்தில் விதவிதமான உணவு பண்டங்கள் வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தன. எந்த உணவை சுவைக்கலாம் என யோசித்த நேரத்தில், சமையல்காரன் வந்துவிடவே தப்பித்தோம், பிழைத்தோம் என மண்டபத்தை விட்டு வெளியே ஓடி வந்தது எலி.அந்த நேரத்தில் தெருவோரமாக இருந்த மதில் மீது ஒரு காகம் அமர்ந்திருந்தது. அந்தக் காகம் எலியைக் கண்டுவிட்டது. எலியைக் கண்ட மகிழ்ச்சியில் அந்தக் காகமானது, எலியின் […]email@example.com (Eugin Bruce)
- உங்க பேரைச் சொல்லி.... October 27, 2015கந்தசாமி என்பவர் வேலை தேடி அடுத்த ஊருக்குச் சென்றார். அங்கே சிலர் வருத்தத்துடன் இருப்பதைப் பார்த்தார்.""உங்களுக்கு என்ன துன்பம் நேர்ந்தது? ஏன் இப்படி வருத்தமாக இருக்கிறீர்கள்?'' என்று அன்புடன் கேட்டார்.""இந்த ஊர் பண்ணையார் கொடுமைக்காரராக இருக்கிறார். எங்களிடம் அதிக வேலை வாங்கு கிறார். கூலியும் சரியாக தருவது இல்லை. அவரை எதிர்க்க […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Eugin Bruce)
- எத்தன் செய்த தந்திரம்! October 26, 2015
- மாட்டிக்கிட்டியா? October 12, 2015ஒரு நாதஸ்வரக்காரனும், ஒரு பெட்ரோமாக்ஸ்காரனும் நண்பர்களாக இருந்தனர். இருவரும் சில விழாக்களில் சேர்ந்து போவர்; சேர்ந்து வருவர். பெட்ரோமாக்ஸ் விளக்கால் இரவைப் பகலாக்குவான் ஒருவன். மற்றொருவன் நாதஸ்வரத்தால் விழாவை நாதவெள்ளத்தில் மிதக்க வைப்பான்.ஒருநாள் இருவருக்கும் சண்டை வந்தது; ஒருவரை ஒருவர் திட்டித் தீர்த்துக் கொண்டனர். எனவே, எந்தவொரு விழாவுக்கும் இருவரும் சேர […]email@example.com (Eugin Bruce)
- குறை - சிறுவர் கதை October 8, 2015தெத்துப்பட்டி என்ற ஊரில் சாந்தனு என்ற இளைஞன் இருந்தான். அவனுக்கு நகரத்தில் வேலை கிடைத்தது. அங்கேயே தங்கி வேலை பார்த்து வந்தான். அவனுக்குத் திருமணம் நடந்தது. தன் மனைவியை நகரத்திற்கு அழைத்து வந்து அவளுடன் குடும்பம் நடத்தினான்.முதல்நாள் வேலைக்குச் சென்றுவிட்டு வீடு திரும்பினான். ""இங்கே யாருமே சரி இல்லை. எல்லாரும் நம்மைப் பார்த்து பொறாமைப்படுகின்றனர் […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Eugin Bruce)
- எல்லாருமே கெட்டவர்கள்தான் ! October 5, 2015முன்னொரு காலத்தில் அங்கிரசர் என்றொரு ரிஷி, வனத்தில் வசித்து வந்தார். அவர் மிகவும் புகழ் பெற்றவர். அவரிடம் மாணாக்கர்கள் பலர் இருந்தனர். அவருடைய ஞானத்தில் இருந்து கணிசமான அனுகூலத்தை அவர்கள் பெற்றிருந்தனர் எனலாம்.அந்த மாணவர்களில் சிலர், பக்தியும், கடமையுணர்வும் கொண்டவர்கள். மற்றவர்களைவிட எளிதில் எதையும் கிரகித்துக் கொள்ளக் கூடியவர்களாக அவர்கள் இருந்தனர். அவர்கள […]email@example.com (Eugin Bruce)
- குடுமி ஆட்டம்! September 29, 2015ஒரு ஊரில் ஒரு பண்ணையார் இருந்தார். அவருக்குச் சொத்துக்கள் ஏராளமாக இருந்தன.பண்ணையாருக்கு ஒரே ஒரு பெண்தான்! ஆனால், அந்தப் பெண் ஆணைப் போலவே வளர்ந்தாள். கல்லூரியில் படித்துப் பட்டம் பெற்றாள். மேலும், கலை, இலக்கியம், இசை ஆகியவற்றிலும் ஈடுபாடு கொண்டிருந்தாள்.பெண்ணுக்கு தகுந்த மாப்பிள்ளை தேட முயற்சி எடுத்தார் பண்ணையார். வரக்கூடிய மாப்பிள்ளை தன் வீட்டோடு இருக்கக் க […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Eugin Bruce)
- திருடி! September 28, 2015அந்தியூர் நீதிபதி வழக்குகளைச் சாமர்த்தியமாக விசாரித்து நியாயம் வழங்குவதில் சமர்த்தர். அன்று அவரிடம் வந்த வழக்கு விசித்திரமாக இருந்தது.""ஐயா! என் கோழி இவள் வீட்டுக்கு அடிக்கடி போய்விடும். நான் வயல்வேலைக்குப் போய்விட்டுத் திரும்பி வந்து பார்க்கும்போது என் கோழியைக் காணவில்லை. கேட்டால் தெரியாதென்கிறாள். அந்தக் கோழி வாங்கின கடனே இன்னும் அடையவில்லை! அதற் […]email@example.com (Eugin Bruce)
- fb.me/8Mu40KBjK 10 hours ago
- fb.me/G0TwOOCW 10 hours ago
- Lunch with family at velacherry sangeetha — feeling fantastic at Sangeetha Hotel fb.me/NrN45TF4 2 days ago
- bharathi.jpg fb.me/4VZmzYgnH 2 days ago
- First day with gundooz devil baby — feeling loved at Velachery railway station fb.me/7p4R6pGBu 3 days ago
My Group Fans
- 76,146 hits
- PHP – HTML5
- Back to Yuvan Shankar Raja
- PHP Access Modifiers
- Google Introduces Search Engine Apps : Springboard
- Overview of HADOOP
- Retrieving Google Analytics Data to Build a KPI Dashboard
- INTERESTING PAGES IN FACEBOOK
- PC Recovery Tips
- 10 Blacklisted Hacking countries:
- Too many passwords? Solution coming soon
|Subramani K Iyer on SINGAM II- My Review- EXC…|
|เบอร์สวย on Jawaharlal Nehru – Lady…|
|commercial music on ONLINE MARKETING TIPS…|
|Jeannie on Jawaharlal Nehru – Lady…|
|IBCSpisk on Availability Check in Registra…|
- SE Ranking: An SEO’s ‘Swiss Army Knife’ (Social Media, Research, and More) by @sejournal
- Your Essential Guide to Internal Content Linking by @JuliaEMcCoy
- Google Reduces Star Rating Threshold: Why Businesses Should Take Notice by @AdamHeitzman
- Google and Bing to Demote Pirate Websites in UK Search Results by @MattGSouthern
- YouTube Is Killing an Ad Format Everyone Hates by @MrDannyGoodwin
- 52% Spend Over $250 Each Month on Digital Marketing Tools [POLL] by @rinadianewrites
- How to Be Successful on Social Media with Content Curation by @@jess12davis
- SEJ Live: Mindy Weinstein on Engaging Content for “Boring” Industries by @rinadianewrites
- SEJ Live: Purna Virji on Voice Search by @rinadianewrites
- 7 SEO Trends That Will Make You Perform Better by @CJGiarratana
- Sneha's promise after atrocities on Bhavana & Varalakshmi February 21, 2017The recent agonizing invasion on actress Bhavana and the revelation that Varalakshmi Sarathkumar made about a TV personality making a pass at her has the entire film fraternity in state of shock Actress Sneha has written a letter of anguish wherein she condemns the acts against her colleagues and also the two small girls Rithika and Nandhini who lost their l […]firstname.lastname@example.org (Editor)
- Movie of 'Chennai 28' actress to release next month February 21, 2017Audio of launch of upcoming Tamil action film Pandigai will be out in a few days Directed by Feroz the movie features actors Krishna and Anandhi in lead email@example.com (Editor)
- Sathyaraj's emotional request for Jayalalitha's birthday February 21, 2017The birthday of former Chief Minister Jayalalitha falls on the 24th of February and the ADMK cadres are planning grand memorial celebrations all over the state following a statement from General Secretary Sasikala from her Bengaluru firstname.lastname@example.org (Editor)
- PETA to approach SC against Jallikattu again February 21, 2017Jallikattu being stamped as cruelty evoked massive protests through TN that spanned a little over two weeks After a hardfought battle an ordinance to allow the conduct of the sport was promulgated by the State Governmenteditor@indiaglitz.com (Editor)
- Editor Praveen K.L strongly recommends 'Maanagaram' for audience February 21, 2017After the critically acclaimed super hit horror flick Maaya that released in 2015 the production banner Potential Studios is ready with their next Tamil film Maanagaram The film starring Sundeep Kishan Sri and Regina Cassandra in lead roles has been scheduled to hit the screens on March 10 email@example.com (Editor)
- Amala Paul and Vijay are now legally separated February 21, 2017Director Vijay and Actress Amala Paul who were once a Popular star couple of Kollywood are now living separately after announcing their splitsville last firstname.lastname@example.org (Editor)
- Vijay and Nithya Menen to travel back in time February 21, 2017The first schedule of Ilayathalapathy s Vijay 61 will end in a few day in ECR after which the second schedule will begin from the first week of Marcheditor@indiaglitz.com (Editor)
- Superstar Rajinikanth's '2.0' climax update February 21, 2017Director Shankar and his army of creators are putting in a lot of hardwork to give the audiences a never before viewing experience in email@example.com (Editor)
- Priya Anand to pair up with G.V.Prakash February 21, 2017Young and talented actress Priya Anands latest Malayalam release Ezra is rewriting box office firstname.lastname@example.org (Editor)
- Oldest Tamil superstars director passes away February 21, 2017103 year old director Antony Mithra Dass passed away in Chennai email@example.com (Editor)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- 10 Hacks for Social Media Lead Generation Without Any Ads – Infographic February 17, 2017Social media lead generation and marketing can easily be compared to a bottomless well. No matter how much we marketers try to hit the bottom, the rope just keeps falling short. Innovation keeps on happening and just when you think you got it figured out, a Snapchat jumps in and shakes up the scene. But... [Read More]The post 10 Hacks for Social Media Lead G […]
- 7 Real Estate Drip Campaigns You Should Be Setting up Right Away February 6, 2017For a product as unpredictable as real estate, reaching out to the right audience can be tricky. Modern realtors, builders and brokers are utilizing quite a few innovative ways to reach the millennials – videos, snapchat, Instagram, Pinterest and many more. But there’s one old-school method, no one has been able to write off yet:... [Read More]The post 7 Rea […]
- 21 Best Stock Image Sites You Can use for Your Content Marketing January 19, 2017Images! They are the lifeline of your content. With so much content being produced and consumed each day, our attention spans have shrunk. And images are the only way content creators can even hope to retain interest. With this growing demand for visual content, marketers need access to high quality images. But finding the best... [Read More]The post 21 Best […]
- Real Estate Leads Online In India [Download Checklist] January 18, 2017In a hurry? Get your hands on the meat right away! Download the Generate Real Estate Leads Online Checklist [PDF] While the internet has opened up a gamut of marketing possibi lities for real estate professionals, on the flip side – it has made life a whole lot busier for them. Generate Real Estate Leads... [Read More]The post Real Estate Leads Online In Ind […]
- The Growth and AMPlification of Mobile SEO: Webinar Deck January 12, 2017With the world shifting towards mobile devices, so have marketers. Google has started penalizing websites that are not mobile-friendly, and the shift of preferring smartphones over desktops has only been growing. This changing trend means that mobile SEO is gaining momentum. But what is it and how does it differ from normal SEO? Keeping in accordance... [Rea […]
- 9 Growth Hacks for E-commerce Businesses: Webinar Recording January 9, 2017We can all agree that E-commerce is big! What with the successes of mass aggregrators like Amazon and Flipkart, as well as e-commerce platforms that cater to niches such as Nykaa, BigBasket and Zivame, the shopping experience has totally changed. Newer businesses are jumping on the bandwagon, and even old established businesses now have an option... [Read Mo […]
- How the Sales Efficiency of an Equity Research Firm Increased 4X times January 6, 2017Research & Ranking, a part of the Equentis Wealth Advisory Services, is an Equity Market Research firm in India. They aim at helping investors with their wealth creation process by giving them information on the assets they invest in. While building their company, they discovered that their marketing methods were not as simplified as they would have... [ […]
- Why Traditional Advertising Media Should Not Be Ignored December 30, 2016Ask any successful marketer, and they’ll tell you stories of how they experimented with various media before coming up with the perfect marketing media mix. You keep mixing and testing until you find ways in which they will complement each other. Not just that, they’ll also advise you to find campaigns that are working for you... [Read More]The post Why Trad […]
- Why Video Marketing will Help you Dominate 2017! December 29, 2016(Originally published on LinkedIn Pulse). An amazing year comes to an end, with mobile numbers sky-rocketing, viral videos breaking the internet, organic reach nose-diving and content marketing becoming mainstream*. If 2016 saw the rise of online video, 2017 will see the explosion of video content on tiny mobile screens. It’s raining videos everywhere, from […]
- Infographic Marketing for Lead Generation and Increasing Email Subscribers December 27, 2016The power of visual media in today’s world is undeniable. A picture goes viral in seconds, while even the most well-written article might need time to attract readers. As a smart marketer in tune with the trends of the time, you must have by now realized how important good images and visual content are to... [Read More]The post Infographic Marketing for Lead […]
- Chennai Floods#Chennai was washed away and everything stood still...This had never happened before... nobody was prepared for this.My child and I were alone and with no electricity and dead phone lines...I could not reach out to loved ones and they could not reach me...What in the world was happening??Totally cut off from civilisation...Life was in animated suspension for […]Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- Ode to small coffins....Today I hold my child a little closerMy kiss lingers a little longerI laugh at his jokes a little harder Appreciate his handmade birthday card a little louder...I'm scared... Scared for my child's futureWhy should anyone be a victim of terrorWhy should so many innocent suffer?Why can't the killers be the ones in the coffer?My tears don't […]Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- Dirty Dancing - Isai | S J Suryah | Shalini SinghMy latest release from the film 'ISAI' Composed and Directed by Mr.S.J.Surya. A kuthu song with english lyrics penned by moi... so excited to have had the opportunity to sing and write such a fun filled peppy number. Hope you all like it!Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- 100 years of CinemaPicture taken at the event celebrating '100 years of Cinema' at Nehru Indoor Stadium. I had the opportunity of taking a pic with the great legend Mr.Yesudas, Sriniji and Manoji.- Posted using BlogPress from my iPadLocation:Nehru Indoor StadiumShalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- Nalanum NandiniyumMy song 'Kadhal Veesum Kaatru' from Nalanum Nandiniyum is the first track on the jukebox.Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- what is consistency????Many years ago... I would look at an office goer/ 9-5 er and think... they are so lucky... why you wonder...well... lets go back to when I was 5. It started out as a mere song to be sung on stage, but evolved into a mammoth production were I was required to sing and dance holding the worlds biggest heaviest mic(I wish I had a pic) with a choir of 30 being sh […]Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- Making of the video - SUNRISERS ANTHEM - HINDI Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- HYDERABAD IPL TEAM SUNRISERS ANTHEM sung by SHALINI SINGH,BLAAZE & ABHAY JODHPURKAR composed by G.V.PRAKASH Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- UntitledThere are so many things happening around us... new ventures, new inventions,new discoveries.... there is so much to know... on one hand you discover that there are these new #google cars that dont need a driver... and that is instantly stale news when they come out with the new google glass! Felix Baumgartner jumps off the edge of space and an adrenaline ju […]Shalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh
- Shalini Singh: Video and Print Interview of Shalini in 'The Hindu' Metro PlusShalini Singh: Video and Print Interview of Shalini in 'The Hindu' Metro PlusShalini/Pop Shalini/Shalini Singh